What Permits/Reviews are Required

Are you doing renovations? building new? installing a shed? fixing something broken?  paving a driveway? installing concrete? etc...
Be aware that you may need one or all of these:
  • a building permit,
  • zoning review
  • a floodplain review permit
There are few instances in Florida where a building permit is not required if you are doing work to or on your property.  AND, even if a building permit is not required, local regulations may require Zoning Review in order to make sure the Land Development Regulations are being met, or Floodplain Review if the property is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).  It is your responsibility as a property owner to make sure you are following State and Local laws regarding property development. 

Listed below are those instances identified by State or local government when a Building Permit is not required.  In some instances, Zoning Review is still required even if a Building Permit is not required and those are indicated below with a ZR in parenthesis. 
In regards to Floodplain Review, if your property is in an SFHA, any development which involves the placement of a structure or movement of soil (except the movement of soil to plant crops) requires a Floodplain Review.  
If you have any question about what type of review or permit you might require, please contact the Community Development Department and ask. 863-946-6018
    • Painting, interior or exterior
    • Interior tile work
    • Installation of wood or vinyl flooring
    • Installing cabinets
    • Light fixture change out (but not rewiring) 
    • Plumbing fixture (i.e. faucets) change out
    • The installation, replacement, removal or metering of any load management control device
    • Stopping leaks in drains, water, waste or vent pipe unless it requires the removal and replacement of a trap, drain, water, waste or vent pipe
    • Clearing stoppages or repairing leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures as long as it does not involve the replacement of them or a rearrangement of them
    • Replacing toilets
    • Minor repairs if they do not involve any of the following:
      • Cutting away any portion of a wall or partition
      • The removal of cutting of any structural beam or load-bearing support
      • The removal or change of any required means of egress, or rearrangement of part of a structure affecting the egress requirements
      • An addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any standpipe, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring systems or mechanical equipment
      • Other work affecting the public health or general safety
      • Repairs that violate the provisions of the technical codes

    • Using gas or mechanical portable heating appliances
    • Using portable ventilation equipment
    • Using a portable cooking unit
    • Using a portable evaporative cooler
    • Using a self-contained refrigeration system containing 10 pounds or less of refrigerant and actuated by motors of 1 horsepower or less
    • Buildings and structure specifically regulated and pre-empted by the Federal government
    • Temporary (less than 180 days) establishment of motion picture or television production sets, assemblies, or structures
    • Nonresidential farm buildings on farms
    • Installation of playground equipment
    • Above ground pools less than 2 feet tall
    • Paving (ZR)
    • Fencing
    • Railroads and ancillary facilities associated with the railroad.
    • Those structures or facilities of electric utilities, as defined in 366.02 FS, which are directly involved in the generation, transmission, or distribution of electricity. (ZR)
    • Temporary buildings or sheds used exclusively for construction purposes. Temporary is 180 days, with the possibility of extension for demonstrated cause. (ZR)
    • Mobile or modular structures used as temporary offices, except these structures must be accessible to persons with disabilities. (ZR)
    • Chickees constructed by the Miccosukee Tribe of Indians of Florida or the Seminole Tribe of Florida. (ZR)
    • Family mausoleums not exceeding 250 square feet which are prefabricated and assembled on site or pre-assembled and delivered on site and have walls, roofs and a floor constructed of granite, marble, or reinforces concrete.
    • Temporary housing for any prisoner in the state correctional system.
    • (Added by Chapter 2012-13 FS) A building or structure having less than 1,000 square feet which is constructed and owned by a natural person for hunting and which is repaired or reconstructed to the same dimension and condition as existed on January 1, 2011.  The building or structure must not be rented or leased or used as a principal residence; must not located within the 100-year floodplain according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s current Flood Insurance Rate Map; and must not be connected to an offsite electric power or water supply. If this structure is located in a flood hazard areas established on Flood Insurance Rate Maps, then it is no longer exempt from the Florida Building Code and will require a building permit. (ZR)